| | | | |

Bruce Waltke Resigns from RTS

Reformed Theological Seminary has announced that Dr. Bruce Waltke has resigned his position as professor of Old Testament at their Orlando campus. The blogosphere is pretty active on this story, including a story at Inside Higher Ed and a note on the BioLogos blog.

The apparent starting point for this was a video of Dr. Waltke endorsing evolutionary theory in a conference sponsored by BioLogos. (Please note that the RTS statement does not mention this reason.) The video has since been removed. As noted again on the BioLogos site, Dr. Waltke stands by what he said, but was concerned about the way in which he expressed it.

I want to note here that RTS is a confessional seminary, and I believe they have a right to hire seminary professors who will teach in accord with their confession. Others, of course, have the right to judge the education provided based on that criterion as well, and for those who support RTS, that sort of doctrinal protection is expected.

I personally find it unfortunate, as I would like to see Christians agree to disagree agreeably on the issues of creation and evolution. Within the church we should, I believe, have some freedom to discuss this sort of issue. Since Dr. Waltke is by just about any measure someone more conservative than I am, I have to feel some concern about this kind of issue. (Note that I am self-employed, so nobody is going to ask for my resignation, and I’m a member of the United Methodist Church, which has many ministers who make me look very conservative.)

In 2008 I reviewed, or more accurately wrote a few notes on Dr. Waltke’s An Old Testament Theology. My view was not entirely favorable, including some of his comments on naturalism and evolution. It appears that I may have been a bit more critical than I should have. I would note, as I did there, that it is perhaps a bit arrogant of me to be so critical of someone with Dr. Waltke’s stature. I keep his An Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax within arm’s reach when I’m studying, and his scholarship is outstanding.

I guess what I’m saying here is that if Dr. Waltke can’t be part of the conversation in evangelical Christianity, then we’re in some trouble. I certainly hope he continues to write and speak. I would like to continue to be challenged by his scholarship, and I’m sure there are many, many others.

Similar Posts

5 Comments

1. Henry,
    I believe you have misread Waltke’s OT Theology in your notes in regards to theistic evolution. Your notes read as though Waltke is opposed to theistic evolution, which you say he should not be because the early chapters of Genesis are compatible with it.

If you go to the index and look up evolution you will find much in support of theistic evolution, including an explicit admission that Waltke holds evolution, common descent, etc. to be true on pg. 202-203 (the entire quote can be found in the comments at Hobbins site).

That’s why this whole mess is so confusing. Waltke has explicitly made these statements before, just not in video form.

1. Actually I believe you’re right, based on the quote given on the BioLogos site. There are some points on which I disagree with him. I intended to back away from that with my statement that I was too hard on him on that point. Unfortunately, I don’t own the book. I got it via interlibrary loan and read it. (I also don’t live anywhere near a good theological library.)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.