Perhaps. But isn’t respect of your fellow human being more important? How would he feel if HE was baptized post mortem into a new religion that his future family believed in? It really isn’t how I look at spirituality at all: a relationship between me and my God. This seems to be based on what I feel is the mistaken notion that I can do something to earn my way into heaven. Or in this instance, I can do something to earn my loved ones way into heaven. Being baptized, taking communion, these are things that symbolize our relationship with our Father, but don’t earn us anything. I find the whole idea ridiculous. The only thing that gives me comfort in this is that it really does nothing to those they are supposedly baptizing.

My cousin is a devote Mormon, and after my father passed, he asked me if he could baptize him. I told him no. My dad had his own relationship with God. I have no idea if he did it anyways. I hope not, but frankly I don’t think it would change anything if he had. I know he’s in heaven, waiting for me there.