This tension between the objective and subjective genitive has been around for some time. It is good to see you put it so succinctly here.

What are the consequences for us of Jesus’ faithfulness, and our conviction in him? It must be more than a matter of ‘understanding’. And then continuing with our comfortable lives. I have been reading Jim Gordon’s posts at Living Wittily. I wonder if American Christians can do what is required today. Especially those who have political influence.

Here is what Jim says in the post on the beatitudes: “The world watched, and heard, as the Beatitudes were read on Capitol Hill in Washington at the inauguration of the 45th President. They were then rubbished by the content of the inaugural speech.”

His next post is even more stark – on yes or no as a response to executive orders. I hope your major cities can hold out with their sanctuaries. They are a yes to God and a no to the error of one who thinks he is everybody’s boss.

If I hope, I must also pray. The border prevents direct action for me – but I am not one who likes demonstrations anyway. I only hope I can learn to interpret and act graciously on what I am learning from the Bible. But grace is not tolerance of error. The prophets make this quite clear. And I fear that I value my comfortable life. As such I will suffer the fate of destruction and exile as much as any leaders in government – mine or the nation to the south of me.