| | |

Opinions, Interpretations, and What the Word of God Says

There’s one use of the phrase “just your interpretation” that implies that no interpretation is better than any other.  This is often used by people who have no idea how a particular text should be interpreted, but nonetheless feel like rejecting your interpretation in particular.  Either they think all interpretations are equal–a common idea these days–or they are just tool lazy or uninterested to bother to check.  (I wrote about this some time ago on my Threads blog.

But today I’m writing about the opposite use — the idea that you can get past opinions and interpretations to something that is just “what God’s word says.”  For example, this morning a reader named Bryon commented on a post on tithing, and began thus:

In regards to tithing, the question is not what is someone’s opinion or interpretation of Malachi 3:10. The question is what does the Word of God say about Malachi 3:10 and other scriptures concerning the tithe? …

(I’ll provide him a link in my reply to his comment, so he can respond here..)

Now it happens that I agree with most of the interpretations and opinions contained in his post, but they are his opinions of how to interpret those passages and apply them.  My agreement is my opinion as well.  There’s nothing wrong with interpreting or with having opinions.

Some people think that claiming something is just God’s word is a matter of humility.  If you attribute it to God then you’re not claiming authority for your own opinion.  I happen to disagree.  It is my opinion that not taking credit for your own interpretations and opinions is really rather arrogant.  They are still your opinions; now you’re just letting people think that somehow God is speaking directly through your words.

For example, Malachi 3:10 does not tell us whether tithing applies to Christians or not.  Clearly it is addressed to the Jewish people after the exile, but there are other commands that are addressed to specific groups of people that many, many Christians believe apply to everyone everywhere.  Determining the person(s) to whom a command applies is a matter of interpretation.

Now my opinion is that Bryon is right and this command applied to Israel at the time and stewardship is different for Christians.  But that remains my opinion of how the text should be interpreted.

Similar Posts

7 Comments

1. Hello Henry, I’ll respond to your comments:

You stated:
    Now it happens that I agree with most of the interpretations and opinions contained in his post, but they are his opinions of how to interpret those passages and apply them. (I disagree) My agreement is my opinion as well. (I agree that your statement is your opinion) There’s nothing wrong with interpreting or with having opinions. (I agree)

I stated:
    In regards to tithing, the question is not what is someone’s opinion or interpretation of Malachi 3:10. The question is what does the Word of God say about Malachi 3:10 and other scriptures concerning the tithe? My post is clearly about the subject of Malachi 3:10 and I want to emphasize that before I proceed.

In regards to Malachi 3:10, the Bible explains itself. If you start at the beginning of the Bible and read through to Malachi 3:10, by the time you get to Malachi 3:10, you’ll know exactly what Malachi 3:10 is talking about, without any cross referencing whatsoever, because the tithe command is clearly explained and it is definitely not an opinion when scripture explains itself. My post is definitely not my opinion on how to interpret those passages, as I stated, If you start at the beginning of the Bible and read through to Malachi 3:10, by the time you get to Malachi 3:10, you’ll know exactly what Malachi 3:10 is talking about.

You stated:
    Some people think that claiming something is just God’s word is a matter of humility. If you attribute it to God then you’re not claiming authority for your own opinion. I happen to disagree. It is my opinion that not taking credit for your own interpretations and opinions is really rather arrogant. They are still your opinions; now you’re just letting people think that somehow God is speaking directly through your words. (I disagree)

Concerning Malachi 3:10, God clearly explains it in his word so it is not my opinion about Malachi 3:10. Malachi 3:10 is clearly explained in the Bible. As I stated above, If you start at the beginning of the Bible and read through to Malachi 3:10, by the time you get to Malachi 3:10, you’ll know exactly what Malachi 3:10 is talking about. In regards to Malachi 3:10, the Bible speaks clearly for itself and the Bible is God speaking through his words, not mine, yours or anyone other then God’s. God speaks through the Bible, which is his word, and Malachi 3:10 is explained as clear as 1+1=2. Genesis chapter 1 verse 1 states: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Is Genesis chapter 1 verse 1 self exclamatory or is it not, or would you say that is my opinion about Genesis chapter 1 verse 1. A secular humanist would call it my opinion, but Bible believers would agree with the fact of Genesis chapter 1 verse 1 based on the scripture itself and not anything that you or I would say.

You stated:
    For example, Malachi 3:10 does not tell us whether tithing applies to Christians or not. Clearly it is addressed to the Jewish people after the exile, but there are other commands that are addressed to specific groups of people that many, many Christians believe apply to everyone everywhere. Determining the person(s) to whom a command applies is a matter of interpretation. (I disagree)

Malachi does tell us whether the tithe in Malachi 3:10 applies to Christians or not. What does Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 state? It reads: “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” As I stated earlier, concerning Malachi 3:10, God’s word explains itself as shown clearly here as we see that the book of Malachi is to Israel. Furthermore, Malachi 3:6-12 states: “For I am the Lord, I change not, therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me and I will return unto you, saith the Lord of hosts. but ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me, But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? in tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field saith the Lord of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land saith the Lord of hosts.” Malachi 3:6 states: (sons of Jacob) The sons of Jacob are the Israelites and this is also explained as one reads through the Bible. Malachi 3:6-12 is clearly speaking to Israel as stated in Malachi 1:1, so anything other than Malachi 1:1 is an opinion, or else it would be stated in Malachi 1:1 and it isn’t, so we can see by Malachi 1:1 that the entire book of Malachi is to Israel, unless there are those who would attempt to call God and Malachi liars.

You stated:
    Now my opinion is that Bryon is right and this command applied to Israel at the time and stewardship is different for Christians. But that remains my opinion of how the text should be interpreted.

(You are entitled to your opinion on any subject matter, but as I stated, concerning Malachi 3:10, the Bible explains itself, Malachi 3:10 is for Israel and Malachi 1:1 states that it is the burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi and Malachi 1:1 is definitely not an opinion.)

1. What your argument should be is that your opinion is correct. You have not provided anything to show that it is not your opinion. For example, the idea that because a prophet spoke to Israel (which, in general, they did) the commands do not apply to anyone else is an opinion.

You said:

Malachi 3:6-12 [Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)] is clearly speaking to Israel as stated in Malachi 1:1 [Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)] , so anything other than Malachi 1:1 [Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)] is an opinion, or else it would be stated in Malachi 1:1 [Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)] and it isn’t, so we can see by Malachi 1:1 [Open in Logos Bible Software (if available)] that the entire book of Malachi is to Israel, unless there are those who would attempt to call God and Malachi liars.

When someone resorts to claiming those who disagree with him are calling God a liar, I tend to think that he is afraid to take responsibility for his opinions, and prefers to browbeat people with the “my opinions = God’s truth” approach.

You may continue to use such an approach. I personally consider this manipulative language, and inappropriate.

1. Considering that neither Bryon nor I regard tithing as a command for Christians, I’m not sure who your addressing. I’m interested in why one would claim that one’s opinion isn’t really an opinion. It just happens that the topic at hand was tithing.

2. Hello Henry,

I’ll address your comments,

[Henry said:
    What your argument should be is that your opinion is correct. You have not provided anything to show that it is not your opinion. For example, the idea that because a prophet spoke to Israel (which, in general, they did) the commands do not apply to anyone else is an opinion.](I disagree)

The Bible is plain, Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 states: “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” That is not my opinion. Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 speaks plainly that the book of Malachi is to Israel. It’s right there in black and white. The book of Malachi is not to the Church and the commands do not apply to anyone else other than who they are stated to apply to, which is Israel. There are some who attempt to put words in Gods mouth by adding to his words, which is definitely going against God’s Word. I would strongly caution anyone who attempts to add to or take away from the Bible. Think about this, concerning the book of Revelation. Revelation chapter 22 verses
    18 and 19 states: “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book.” These verses are serious business and I would strongly caution anyone who would attempt to add to Gods Word in not just the book of Revelation, but anywhere throughout the Bible. Adding to any book of the Bible only tends to confuse people, cause division in the Church and enables people to deceive many people who believe what the man or woman says instead of what is written plainly on the pages of the Bible directly in the front of their face. All of the deception and denominationalism have a lot of people confused about Christianity and this has happened as a direct result of mans ignorance of the prayer of Jesus Christ in John chapter 17. Verses 20 through 26, states: “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; and they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.” In John chapter 17 verses 20 through 26 Jesus Christ prayed against denominationalism, which is division that has been brought into his Church and is one of the reasons why people are confused about Christianity. Instead believing what the Bible says as it is written plainly, people add to and take away from the Bible teaching false doctrine to the people. In John chapter 17 verse 20, Jesus Christ makes it perfectly clear that he is praying for all believers globally as he prays “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;” The words of his disciples have carried on down through the generations through the New Testament, or in other words the New Covenant and has caused people to believe in Jesus Christ through their words. In John chapter 17 verse 21 Jesus Christ prays ” That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.” As Jesus Christ is continuing in his prayer here by praying that all believers globally may be one as the Father is in him and he is in the Father and that the believers globally may be one in him and the Father, so that the world may believe that the Father sent him. Denominationalism is division and is one of the reasons that some people reject Christianity and embrace some other religion, which is a travesty. Jesus Christ prayed that all believers may be one. With all of the numerous denominations teaching different winds of doctrine of men a lot of people are confused and they do not know what to believe. In John chapter 17 verse 22 Jesus Christ states: “And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:” Jesus Christ makes it perfectly clear throughout these scriptures that his prayer is for his disciples and his global Church to be one, not divided into denominations. In verse 23 Jesus Christ states: “I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.” Jesus Christ prayed that all believers may be one not denominations, which are divisions. The Apostle Paul stated in his first epistle to the Church at Corinth in 1st Corinthians chapter 1 verses 10 through 17: “Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or where ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with the wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.” Denominationalism is division and the Church of Jesus Christ is one. The Bible is already written and does not need to be rewritten according to doctrines of men and false teachers are scattered throughout the world. The Church has to stand on the Word of God, which should be used as a defining factor for absolute truth when approached with any wind of doctrine. Let the Bible speak plainly for itself as it does so eloquently. Nobody should change a scripture to make it say what they want it to say. The way that it is written is the way that it is. Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 states “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” That is what is written and that is how it is and it definitely is not an opinion.

[Henry said:
    When someone resorts to claiming those who disagree with him are calling God a liar, I tend to think that he is afraid to take responsibility for his opinions, and prefers to browbeat people with the “my opinions = God’s truth” approach. You may continue to use such an approach. I personally consider this manipulative language, and inappropriate.]

As I stated above, Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 states “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” That is what is written and that is how it is and it definitely is not an opinion. When you disagree with Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 you are disagreeing with the truth. Again, Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 states “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” That is not an opinion, as if the verse is saying something else. Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 states “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” and the verse is stating exactly the way that it is and there is no changing that. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that.

[Wounded ego said:
    It seems odd that he is fussing about tithing when there isn’t really a command, just the example of the patriarchs.]

Wounded ego, it seems as if you agree with me and Henry that the tithe command is not for the Church. So you know where I stand, the only ones with a command in the Bible concerning tithes where the Israelites, which included the Levites and Levitical Priests. The tithe is not for the church. People have been lied to for generations concerning the tithe.

[Henry said:
    Considering that neither Bryon nor I regard tithing as a command for Christians, I’m not sure who your addressing. I’m interested in why one would claim that one’s opinion isn’t really an opinion. It just happens that the topic at hand was tithing.]

We have been talking about the topic of tithing and Malachi chapter 1 verse 1, which states “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.” This is stated plainly, it is not an opinion and anyone who reads Malachi chapter 1 verse 1 has to take it at face value, because what is says is how it is and there is no changing that. The way it is written is the way that it is. There are people throughout the world who attempt to add to Malachi chapter 1 verse 1, but I’ll say it again, the way it is written is exactly the way that it is, “The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi”.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.